Aquarium acts as a best interior décor for the home. It increases homes beauty and adding live aquarium plants in it will enhance its beauty.
Also, its presence helps fishes in several manners like comfort, safety, food or reproduction. Other benefits of aquatic plants are it keeps an aquarium clean and provide fresh oxygen to fishes.
But the difficulty is to find out the best aquarium plants for your aquarium. So here you will find some interesting guide to know the best aquarium plants for beginners.
Also Read: 10 Most Pretty & Colourful Freshwater Fish
Types of Aquarium Plants
There are varieties of species available in aquatic plants. Being a beginner you must understand types of aquarium plants that available and easy to use. These aquarium plants can be.
- Java moss
- Anubias or Anubias nana
- Amazon sword
- Cryptocoryne wendtii
- Pygmy chain sword
- Java fern
- Water wisteria
- Dwarf lilies
- Hornwort etc.
These aquarium plants are categorized below to understand which one you want to select.
5 Best Freshwater Aquarium Plants
Generally, freshwater aquarium plants are in demand because most people possess a freshwater aquarium. These plants need water softness and are easy maintenance. Here is the list of best plants that you can get:
- Cryptocoryne wendtii: These plants can be seen in any fish pots. They possess irresistible nature to the changes when added other plants. Therefore it should be planted single, and these are good looking plants that enhance aquarium look.
- Cryptocoryne: These live plants vary in color, shape, and size. These wide varieties are most liked with the shrimp. Its roots need to be covered at least 2 inches inside the rocks and it needs 72°F to 82°F temperature and normal lighting.
- Pygmy Chain Sword: These plants commonly known as a narrow-leaf plant that can be used by beginner or expert. These are normally kept at the edge of the aquarium because it doesn’t grow tall. It acts as a centerpiece in an aquarium due to its dazzling coloration.
- Water Wisteria: Bunch plants or water wisteria are commonly used by the shrimp lover aquarists. These are the preferred plant because of their leaves fascinating shape. Its roots need to be at least 4 inches deep into gravel.
- Hornwort: Also known as Coontail, is one of the easy to handle the plant, that is versatile to adapt changing condition of aquarium temperature. It can be used in water tanks or outdoor ponds. Its length can grow up to 23 to 24 inches.
5 Best Low Light Aquarium Plants
Aquatic plants are easy to maintain and requires less maintenance and low light. If you are planning for low light aquarium plants here are the 5 best plants you can use at your aquarium. These are:
- Vallisneria: Vallisneria also known as eelgrass are used at back or sides of the aquarium frame. These are the low light plants and its leaves grow from the roots. It can be kept in a bunch at the corner of the aquarium. Its long leaves give great fun to fish and they like to hide inside its leaves.
- Sagittaria: These plants are ascendant of thirty or more species that include Arrowhead, Duck potato, Kuwait, Swan potato, Tuli potato, Katniss, Wapato, etc. These are grass-like bright green color plants that give a beautiful foreground, mid-ground or background as per the species.
- Java Moss: These are rooted plants that grow rapidly in aquatic water. It enhances the beauty of your aquarium by giving appending look to its rocks, driftwood, etc. Also, it gives fishes comfort and eases to hide them and play.
- Java Fern: These plants require very low light and it grows well when their rhizomes are attached to your aquariums ornament. These are cheap and easily available at any aquarium shop.
- Anubias Or Anubias Nana: These are two species that are easy to keep and maintain. These are sold on driftwood or rocks. Also, it is important to keep its roots open for its growth. Like other species these are not rapid growth, it grows slowly.
5 Best High Light Aquarium Plants
Some plants need high light to develop and grow. If your aquarium possesses high light arrangement, you can go for these plants. If you are planning for the high light aquarium plants so here is the list of 5 known plants.
- Amazon Sword: This is the most known aquatic plant widely used because of its low maintenance and rapid growth feature. It generally grows very large so while buying, you should go for the small plant.
- Argentine Sword: It grows around 18 inches long with thin stems and is widely used in an aquarium. It can be 60°F to 77°F temperature and can only survive in soft water. Specific care of these plants is identical to the Amazon Sword.
- Hygrophila polysperma: These are 24 inches long-standing plant that grows in bunches. It possesses a green and reddish leaf that gives a beautiful look to the aquarium. It needs 65°F to 85°F and generally kept at the center or back of any aquarium so that it gets space to grow.
- Umbrella Plant: These are around 8 to 12 inches in height and have thin, tall stems. It possesses small leaves on the top of branches stem that is out into a star shape. These plants need more lights to grow and require a temperature of around 72°F to 78°F. It needs hard water with the density around 4 to 12 degrees but it dies if it will be completely submerged into water.
- Vallisneria spiralis: It looks like grasses and grows up to 25 inches. It needs around 60°F to 85°F and around 7 pH levels. For every 50 gallons of water, it needs 50 watts light and water hardness should be about 5 to 15. These are the good plants for beginners to handle.
Aquarium plants give great look to the water tanks. Apart from the look, these plants are beneficial for fishes that give them fun and long life too. If used correct aquarium plants it develops well and also keep the water clean and algae free.